What Are The Types of Radiation?
When asked about types of radiation, each person has a different understanding. Either a person may be familiar of radiation as a cancer-savior emission or a sickness-inducing energy. Interestingly, both of these perceptions are correct. Since there is a type of radiation that is natural and inescapable, it can serve benefits to us. As another point, radiation can also be synthetic and it can be potentially risky.
Radiation-What is It?
To begin with, it is important to understand what radiation is.
There are three types of radiation. First, there are alpha particles which can be viewed as helium nucleus. This helium nucleus is composed of 2 protons and 2 neutrons. It is positively charged and can pass through paper and clothing. Second, there are beta particles which are high-speed electrons. They can move through 2 or 3 meters through the air. Third, there is gamma radiation which can be likened with x rays. It is the most penetrating kind of radiation.
Different Types of Radiation
Radiation comes in different forms. First, there is particulate radiation which occurs when energy travels in an unstable manner and the atom breaks down. Second, electromagnetic radiation (otherwise known as EMF), has no weight and it moves in waves. It can pass through different types of gadgets such as phones, computers, microwaves and many other wireless devices.
1) Electromagnetic radiation- this is the type of radiation that is composed of photons that advances in waves. The foundation particle for all kinds of electromagnetic radiation is photon.
2) Non-ionizing radiation- this is another kind of radiation that has a fairly low energy radiation and is placed at the electromagnetic spectrum’s low end. Where can we find non-ionizing radiation? Visible lights, lasers and power lines are to name a few.
3) Background radiation- this radiation type has its sources from environment. It originates from the earth’s atmosphere, earth’s crust, cosmic rays and isotopes. Since the radiation sources are natural, we are effortlessly and amply exposed to it.
4) Cell Phone Tower Radiation- cell phone towers possess antennae and other communication necessities. It contains transmitter, control electronics, a GPS receiver for timing, digital signal processors and other different types of electronic power sources.
5) Radiation fog- this type of radiation happens during the nocturnal transition where thermal radiation is emitted by the cool ground.
Sources and citation:
The Torsion™ Protection Field Chip neutralizes up to 99% of the radiation produced by cell phones, giving you peace of mind.
It is recommended for both adults and children.
In America 20 million kids under the age of fourteen have cell phones and in Australia one in four 9 year old's has their own phone.
More reading if you are considering a mobile phone for your child or teenager
From the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) comes a fact sheet on the use of wireless devices..
"Due to the lack of scientific evidence on mobile and cordless phone use by children, ARPANSA recommends that parents encourage their children to limit their exposure,''
They also suggest that baby monitors be kept a meter away from cots, to minimise any electromagnetic emissions.
Stay in the loop!
We invite you to join our community of like-minded people.
Sign up for Radiation News and receive our exclusive ebook 'Earthing' as a bonus, while also getting the latest news about cell phone radiation, scientific research and reports on how you can better protect yourself and your loved ones from radiation.